Want to drive a fast go kart? Former NASCAR Champion Kurt Busch provides go karting tips for how to drive the high-performance electric go karts at Pole Position Raceway from his expert perspective. He covers such topics as braking and throttle control, cornering, turn-in points, kart control and apex cornering tips. KB is one of the many professional racers behind the Pole Position Raceway brand that helped inspire our motto Built For Racers, By Racers.
HOW TO DRIVE A GO KART: GENERAL DRIVING TIPS
- Smoother is faster around most race tracks including the bead-blasted concrete surface at Pole Position Raceway. Be smooth with all of the controls including the go kart steering wheel, brakes and throttle.
- When riding go karts you should strive to carry as much momentum as possible around the track in most instances, but there will be a few compromises. The best way to carry momentum is by using wide lines around the race track that allow you to carry more exit speed.
- One of the best ways to reduce lap times is to follow faster drivers. When following faster drivers, try to duplicate their race lines as close as possible, but make sure you stay within your own safety limits.
- In most cases you want to limit sliding in the turns. At most of the tracks, you should strive to find the razor's edge of where the tires begin to lose grip, just like in other forms of racing. Controlling front tire grip is generally more important than the rear, and it's usually acceptable to allow the back end to slide a little as long as you can maintain safe control of the kart.
- It's usually best to do all of your braking in a straight line. When brakes are applied while turning, it generally causes the tires to lose traction easier and quicker.
- When competing for best time, it's generally best to give yourself plenty of space between you and the closest driver ahead of you at the beginning of the race. This will minimize the chances of a slower driver getting in your way that could prevent you from getting the fastest lap possible within your ability.
- Avoid making contact with the barriers or other karts since it will disrupt your kart's handling and will instantly slow you down.